"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

5 Super Hot Spots for Food!




Okay, this is a little sneaky, but totally, worth the potential punishment I may encounter.  This summer, I moved in with my Dad and gave him a top of the line health reform plan: I invaded his kitchen with SUPER FOODS!  Surprisingly, he enjoyed nearly all of his super food breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals.  However, the big question was: “could he maintain this type of eating when James and I moved out?”  My little brother, the skeptic, said: “no way, Kelley!” 

Last weekend, I went home for a short visit, and I was pleasantly surprised!  I snooped around in the kitchen, and here is what I found:

Hot Spot # 1: Front of Refrigerator:  A complete list of super foods and their sidekicks’ to provide motivation and reminding (okay, I planted this there before I left).



Hot Spot #2: Freezer: Stalked full with frozen super fruits and vegetables.  He even had a few convenient super foods!  A++




Hot Spot #3: Inside Refrigerator:  The fridge is stocked with non-fat Greek yogurt (this took him about a week to adjust- okay he might still be adjusting), oranges, apples, pumpkin seeds, white meat turkey burgers, almond milk, and carrots!



Hot Spot #4: Counter Top:  I found evidence of an empty loaf of organic whole wheat bread (which means he didn’t just plant this bread here for my arrival- someone ate the loaf).  I believe my brother and sister converted to whole wheat bread, too (they used to insist on white which is nothing but sugar and chemicals- who wants their loved ones eating that!!?)  I also found evidence of preparation in progress: turkey meat thawing on the counter!

I love that he saved $1!!


Hot Spot # 5 Cupboard:  With one turn of the cupboard, I found three boxes of shredded wheat cereal and cheerios.  Additionally, I discovered a jar of natural peanut butter!




*On my way to the bus station, I found an apple and a Tupperware container of carrots in my Dad’s van- he is prepped with snack to combat hunger throughout the day.

Hey, if my Dad can convert (or even semi-convert) anyone can!  Additionally, he lost 4 more pounds since we moved away six weeks ago.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed! Once our bodies get a taste for 'real food' it continues to crave it. Just like it craves the 'fake food' when we give it to ourselves in a steady diet. Great job Kelley and great job Dad!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here: