"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Thursday, January 6, 2011

Goodbye 2010, Hello 2011



I can confidently say that 2010 was the best year of my 27 years.  I lived an unimaginable dream in December when I vacationed in Australia for 10 days with Oprah Winfrey.  Even as I write this blog, I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that I met and hugged Oprah Winfrey.  In July, I told James that meeting Oprah was impossible, now I believe that anything is possible.


My experiences in 2010 did not come without challenges.  James and I moved from our home state that we know and love to the city.  We both embraced incredible challenges in our first semester as graduate students at Northeastern University.  Through most of the months of September through December, we both believed that we made a terrible decision to pursue our PhDs.  I suffered severe insomnia, and I went as many as seven days without sleeping (on more than one occasion).  I did not even know what a good night sleep felt like for about four months.


As I reflect back on 2010, I realized that the last part of the year my stress and uncertainty was a result of imbalance in my life.  I cannot maintain happiness and productivity in my life if I put all of my energy into one small piece of my life.  In 2011, I vow to put education and my career in it’s place in my life.  The rest of my life I hope to fill with joy and experiences with my friends and family.

I look forward to sharing more amazing super food recipes and positive experiences of my life in the crazy city of Boston.

2010 highlights:

·      James and I trained for and completed two triathlons
·      We moved from Maine to Massachusetts to pursue PhDs at Northeastern University
·      I attended traveled to Chicago with my Mom to view the season premier taping of the Oprah Winfrey show
·      James lived one of his dreams to vacation in Australia
·      We met amazing new friends and neighbors
·      I ran with my sister in her first 5K race
·      I met Oprah!!!
The "O" for Oprah on the Sydney Harbor Bridge, Australia

Kangaroo Island, Australia- The most beautiful place in the world

First day of School

Moving to the City

Karrie's first 5K

I hope 2011 will bring more surprises and happiness, and I really hope to pay off our remaining debt and celebrate the feeling of being DEBT FREE!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here: