"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Thursday, April 29, 2010

You GET what you GIVE to the world!


Have you ever heard the saying, “you get what you give to the world?” Recently, as evidenced by this blog, I am trying to pour my energy into reflecting and appreciative the positive in my life. After reading Barbara Frederick’s book, “Positivity,” I believed in changing my life through positive thinking.


A few Saturday mornings ago, I sat down at my computer to type a long over-due thank you and appreciation letter for one of my best friend in high school Mom. Why on earth would I write my friend’s Mom a random letter 10 years later? Well, as I age, I realize people develop and grow based on their interactions with hundreds; I contribute some of my personal positive growth and development to her.

My friend’s Mom is a beautiful person inside and out. She provided me with just the absolute perfect amount of support during an incredibly difficult time in my life 10 years ago. Some mothers, in her situation, might have thought that I was a crazy teenager and forbid their daughter from spending time with me. But she is different.

Now, I believe we are placed on this earth for a reason. Some people’s reason may seem less obvious, but no less important. My friend’s Mom doesn’t have a fancy career, she doesn’t have a fancy job title at work, she doesn’t wear fancy name brand clothes, but she positively influenced my life more than she will ever know.

A few weeks ago, I wrote the letter to my friend’s Mom. Of course, when she received the letter, she did not expect it, and I did not expect anything more from the letter except to feel happy that I let her know how much she meant to me.

Well, the next week, I opened up my e-mail box to find a beautiful and unexpected gift. My baby sister, who I love more than anything; the most beautiful little girl on the planet, wrote me this poem and read it to her school at poetry night:

A sister is someone who loves you from the heart,
My sister is my best friend,
Even though we are miles apart,
We’re together till the end,


She helps me through difficult times,
She’s so beautiful, on the inside and out,
Her comforting words are worth way more than dimes,
When I’m with her there’s never a doubt


Whether I’m having my ups or downs,
We usually never fight,
She always smiles instead of frowns,
Her personality is always big and bright,



Laughing and smiling,
I love when we are together
You are so styling,
You are my best friend and I love you

Her gift did not cost 0$.01, but I accept her inspiring thoughts, her courageous action, and devoted time over a billion dollars, any day. Of course, I cried my eyes out when I read this poem. I beemed with positive evergy for an entire week because of this gift [and my heart still swells with joy everytime I read this poem]!  I do have the best baby sister on the face of this earth!



Then just yesterday, I received another completely random and unexpected act of kindness. One of the women I meet with regularly for wellness appeared at my desk mid-morning with a HUGE smile on her face. She looked in my eyes and handed me a card and waited as I opened and read the card.



She created this beautiful, hand-made, appreciation card specifically for me and wrote a beautiful thank you note and letter of appreciation. WOW, my eyes teared up again. How unexpected? What a beautiful way to start my day!



Then the thought occurred to me, “you get what you give to the world.” You don't give to get, but it's just the natural outcome. Unbelievable. I am blessed a thousand times over.

1 comment:

  1. how awesome it is to receive inspirational gifts that really come from the heart. i agree with you kell when you say it doesnt matter that the gifts didnt cost a penny, because the ones that matter the most are the ones that come from the heart!!
    karrie and your friend were right on target when they say you are a kind person who always has a smile...you are kind and you do always have a smile! you definitely are someone who i admire and wish to have your optimistic outlook on life as i go through my years! cant wait to start writing with you! this definitely will be a challenge!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here: