"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Sunday, April 11, 2010

Last time, first time??

Kelley, “when is the last time you did something for the first time?” This quote inspired me to jump outside my black or white thoughts.

My company is sponsoring a TriAthalon, I received the e-mail announcement and clicked “delete” almost immediately. Why? I can’t swim. I can’t bike then run. Period. No further discussion.

My 59 year old co-worker approached me regarding my status, assuming that I would definitely participate. I verbalized my argument. She proceeded to tell me that she completed her first Tri at age 59 after fearing water her entire life. She completed her first marathon at age 50 and completed 5 since. I felt stupid, she inspired me, and I agreed to join.

This experience opened my eyes and generated deep self-reflection, I learned:

Open to challenge: I let my ability to swim auto reject an opportunity rather than remaining open to the challenge.

Stretch Status Quo: I was okay with my current exercise routine, accepting it as status quo; rather than stretching myself beyond the norm outside my limits.

Take Risks: Completing a Tri is a risk; fear of not finishing, looking stupid, left me sitting in the safe zone; rather than jumping in with both feet.

Thank God for my co-worker, her belief in me opened my eyes to new possibilities and helped me to realize that I had shut off my own core values: open to challenge, stretch status quo, and take risks.

We are on this earth to LIVE! Yesterday, I completed my first, what they call “bricking” in the Tri business, and my body wants to die today. But, at least I challenged myself, stretched my status quo, and took a risk. In the end that is what life is all about.

Summer 2010, we might not have another. Let’s do something WILD and CRAZY! Sign up to run a race, bike a race, complete a Tri….why? WHY NOT!? When is the last time you did something for the first time?

3 comments:

  1. Kel, great story and I love the question when was the last time? Very inspiring, I am grateful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy! I want to see you bust out a race this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cuz. i wish that i could be like you. you are amazing. smart, funny, wild, spontaious and all together awesome!! im proud to call you my cousin!!! you have such a free spirit and i love you for that!! you deffinitly are a role model to me!! i love you kell!
    Love Tiff

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here: