"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Waste: Funky Tortilla Casserole

 

I used to grocery shop aimlessly! I would throw a few Cheeze-Its and sale items in the cart and top it off with a couple of bananas and call it a trip.  I had no rhyme or reason to my madness.  Consequently, James and I ate more, spent more, and threw away more than we both realized.

James prepping the casserole (he tolerates my pink needs)
Today we have a strict $500 per month food budget.  Food is EXPENSIVE, but we learned that meal planning is one of the best tricks to stay within our food budget.  We literally have a plan for every piece of food we buy.  Some call us insane, and I would agree.  However, I am proud of our meticulous food planning skills, and I will tell you why.
  

1.     More than half the food produced in our country is wasted, I am happy that we waste little to NO food, EVER
2.     We feed our bodies exactly what they need
3.     We save TONS of $$ which translates to paying down DEBT
4.     We don’t stress about “what’s for dinner?” every night because we already know!
5.     We have fun cooking at home and eating our crazy healthy food concoctions

I have the easiest, most delicious super food recipe to share!  This recipe was approved by my Dad, my siblings, and our two great friends in Boston- it’s a keeper!

This funky tortilla casserole is packed with seven super foods: beans, spinach, whole wheat, tomatoes, chicken and yogurt!  You will get six healthy servings from the dish; James and I eat one casserole for dinner for three nights. The homemade salsa used to create this dish yields about five or six cups, so we always plan another dinner that requires salsa.

Funky Tortilla Casserole- fresh from the oven!


Bone Appetite!
 
Print Recipe Here:  Funky Tortilla Casserole
Print salsa recipe here:  Homemade Salsa



1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Looks delicious! I'm so proud of your food planning skills. Also when we throw food away we are impacting the environment in a negative way. It takes a lot of the earth's energy to produce food. so when we throw it away we are not only wasting our own money but squandering the earth's resources. Way to go!!!
    Molly/Mommy

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here: