"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Friday, April 30, 2010

Will you sniff my armpit??


Ditzy, air-head, goofy, peppy, hyper….these are some of the labels people awarded me throughout my life. At different times in my life, labels offended me. Seriously, I hated the “air-head” label!

 You know what? I am an air-head and I don’t get jokes easily! People have to spend about 25 minutes explaining a joke to me, and by the end of the explanation, the joke is no longer funny! You know, I am also ditzy, goofy, peppy, and hyper. I am proud of my labels, they are part of who God made me, and honestly they keep my life fun!



Recently, my friend Ryan labeled me with the most genius label yet: quirky. The air-head in me asked him to define quirky because I did not understand? He proceeded to try to define the label, a pretty funny conversation and definition.



I still didn’t quite understand…quirky…really, Ryan?? However, quickly I found myself doing quirky things. One day, I was in a computer training room with my co-workers. The room grew silent as we found ourselves in deep concentration. Suddenly, my eyes met my co-workers and at that very instant we both arrived at the same conclusion: Yes, I was caught SNIFFING MY ARMPIT!!



We bellied over laughing for about 10 minutes and of course, I had to proceed to tell them that I think this one act defined me: I am quirky.

You know, it’s probably unprofessional, inappropriate, and embarrassing to sniff your arm pit in public settings. But, Wednesday I found that I was no alone with my quirky behavior.

James and I finished our swim training for the Tri; as we dressed, children around the ages of 5-6 started piling into the pool for their first swim lesson. A group of boys gathered together (I need to emphasize: this is the first time they met one another). After about 4-5 minutes of chatter, one skinny boy jumped in the middle of the group with the loudest, proudest, most confident voice; raised his arm high to the ski and SCREAMED: OKAY GUYS, WHO WANTS TO SNIFF MY ARM PIT!?!??!!

You know what happened? The children proceeded to SNIFF the KIDS armpit!! I laughed hysterically and thought, “okay, I am not alone…that kid is pretty quirky, too!” I am quirky and sometimes you might find me sniffing my armpit, or if you are lucky, you might find me running with my bike helmet on my head...

“Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

3 comments:

  1. I sniff especially if I think it's me fouling up the space! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahaha. I love you. Your quirkiness is genius in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley this article just gives me another reason to thank God you are my niece. You are so funny. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here: