"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Does everything happen for a reason?



My pursuit as a nursing philosopher continues and today I believe that I might actually understand the minds of some of the greatest thinkers in our history.

How did I overcome my philosophical anxiety?  First, I purchased the book: Philosophy Made Simple and second I altered my thinking surrounding this seemingly “useless” material.  How blessed and lucky am I to have the opportunity to review and attempt to understand the thinking of amazing individuals in our history?  Furthermore, the opportunity comes to me with a full scholarship and assistantship: I am being paid to read about thinking.  I do not think it is hat bad of a gig.

Today’s philosopher, Spinoza, believed that happiness is determined by our ability to recognize that events in our life contain two properties: rational and emotional. 

Rationally, all events are predetermined in our life.  Emotionally, we can choose to accept or reject the events.  Spinoza believes that when we emotionally choose to accept that both good and bad events will occur, we will experience happiness.

We do not need to pretend that bad events are not bad; however, he states that we control the emotion tied to the bad event.  For example, we choose to accept fear, anxiety, and unhappiness when something bad happens to us.  Therefore, nothing is actually good or bad it is our emotion that determines the goodness or badness of any event.  When we adjust our outlook on the world, we are liberated and freed from the slavery of our thoughts and emotion.

Real life example:

You work with a difficult co-worker, and you obsess about his or her annoying qualities.  Your co-worker is a “bad” event in your life.  Or is he?  Is he bad, or did your emotion make him bad?  What if you viewed your co-worker’s “bad” traits as opportunities to improve your tolerance, patience, or peace?  If you change your views about your co-worker, is your co-worker still “bad?” 

I believe that James and I always experience situations that challenge our weaknesses.  For him, road rage is a weakness.  Interestingly, every single morning when we drive to school, he will get behind a slow driver, a “cutter-offer,” or a “failer” to follow driving rules.  He gets enraged, and his blood pressure spikes to extreme levels!  But, is it interesting that he experiences these types of drivers consistently?  Is God trying to teach him a lesson in patience?  Are the drivers on the road “bad” events, or is his emotion related to the drivers perceived as bad events?

For me, I always seem to develop relationships with slow individuals.  I say this loosely because I love most of the people that I label “slow.”  My college roommate, Katie (who I love dearly), she is one of the slowest people I ever met.  She could not talk and tie her shoes simultaneously.  We were late to class every day for four straight years in college.  I also experience slow co-workers, or slow partners for group projects.  My patience is tested, and I think: “why does this always happen to me? But, what if I need to slow down?  What if God strategically places these people in my life to help me take a breath, smell the coffee, and SLOOOOOWW DOWN?  If I view the situation this way, is slowness a bad event?  No. 


There we have it: philosophy 101: Rationally, events will occur and our emotion labels the events good or bad.  When we accept this, we will experience more happiness….according to Spinoza that is.  Give it a try, I will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments here: