"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have,


but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.", ~Frederick Keonig


Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Life is who you are not where you are

James and I moved to Portland last December, and I am stunned by the “Bangor jokes” I encounter daily: I have heard, “we need to get you out of Bangor” [spoken in a hick-like accent] at least 50 times in the past year! Of course, the remakes do not offend me; I understand that the jokesters remarks are harmless, and most of the time I will join the fun!

James and I visited home twice in the past month: once to surprise my little sister at her final middle school basketball game, and once to visit James’ father who fell ill and went into the hospital unexpectedly. While we were home traveling around the quaint rural towns: Eddington, Glenburn, Orrington, and good old Bangah, James and I confirmed that life is who you are not where you are.

In spite of fear and worry for James’ father medical condition and the stress involved in trying to visit four sets of divorced parents, grandparents, and friends, we heard two remarkable and inspirational stories that made us both proud to be born in the quaint “hick-like” town of Bangor, ME!

I visited the Atkinson family during my first trip home; I always love spending time at their rustic Maine home, they make me feel like part of their family- and trust me, with five children of their own, I don’t think they need to take in anymore! I was learning to sew with Candace, and she started showing me exquisite quilts that she, Alyssa, and a group of local voluteers made for wounded soldiers. The quilts were full of detail, and I could see the kindness and pride in her face as she displayed the masterpieces! Little did I know, she was a novice quilter.

Her story is truly inspirational. Apparently, she and Steve were enjoying a conference in Washington DC as part of the requirement for Steve’s new promotion as a General. Candace saw a quilt display booth and felt drawn to talk to the person manning the booth. The person represented a group called, “Quilts of Valor” a volunteer-based organization that make quilts for soldiers to provide tangible reminders that their wartime service, sacrifice, and valor are not forgotten. Candace felt inspired to participate even though she had little to no quilting experience.

She returned home to good old Bangor, ME and got right to work! As she and her daughter, Alyssa, started sewing away, and she thought to herself, “I bet others might be interested in helping this amazing cause.” So she organized a “Quilts of Valor” booth at the Bangor Air National Guard Family Day event. Her instinct was dead on, in less than a couple of hours, she had a $1000 donation, a volunteer long-armer, a Wednesday night quilting group, and a feature story in the December 2009 Edition of the Bangor Metro!

I think the most moving piece of this story is that she had little to no quilting experience, yet she let her heart lead her path. She used her time and talents to show her appreciation for our nation’s soldiers who risk their lives daily so that we can live in peace and freedom, and she also started a quilting group to help others learn to quilt so that they could give back to our fallen soldiers. As she was sharing her story with me, chills of inspiration ran down my spine.

The inspiration doesn’t end with Candace! Last weekend, James and I enjoyed breakfast with his Mother at a diner that is the epitome of hick- Ron’s Diner in Brewer, ME. The food is delicious, and the service is exceptional! My Mother-in-Law loves leaving the sweet elderly waitress $20 tips- just because! :)

My Mother-in-Law sings in a group named, The New Renaissance Singers- a local community chorus in Bangor. The group “gets by” financially- they can pay their bills and save a little for a rainy day. However, my Mother-in-Law wanted the group to give back to the community and provide a financial donation to another local community singing group. She really pushed the idea, and like any monetary debate, critics worry about the implications associated with donating money. She did not give up, and the group followed her lead!

The group decided to make a cash donation The Bangor Area Children’s Choir . Children who sing in the choir are required to pay certain dues, and The New Renaissance Singers felt that their financial contribution could support less-financially fortunate children.

The small donation generated a positive ripple effect for The New Renaissance Singers! Their last concert yielded the highest ticket sales in history, they received a half-page of FREE advertisement, and they were acknowledged in the Bangor Area Children’s Choir program. To add to the joy, The New Renaissance Singers and The Bangor Area Children’s Choir are planning a joint venture singing event!

We learn as children, “do good and good will come,” and I have witnessed the positive outcomes of good deeds from my family and friends in Bangor. The stories helped me to get out of my own head and thoughts and appreciate the beauty of helping random strangers. I learned that life truly is who you are not where you are.

4 comments:

  1. I heart your blog! Just a small tid-bit...it's "Colonel" not "Kernel," honey! I know, it doesn't make any sense phonetically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **CORRECTION! Steve was celebrating his promotion to GENERAL!!! (Sorry big Steve, the military lingo confuses my simple mind!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiration your MIL is. She has a good heart.

    And thank Candace for getting involved in QOV. The Quilts of Valor program is such a good one, I am proud that she is participating.

    Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me cry, Honey! Thanks for the sweet words.

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments here: